Dental care is essential for the overall health and well-being of our furry friends. Just like humans, dogs can suffer from various dental problems, including bad breath, tartar buildup, gum disease, and even tooth loss. Periodontal disease is linked to heart disease (which can be fatal), bone loss, teeth loss and more. Therefore, it is crucial and can even extend your pets life by keeping your dog’s teeth clean and healthy to prevent such issues. Yes, you can clean dogs teeth at home to help reduce dental issues.
Here are some of the most effective options for cleaning your dog’s teeth:
- Brushing: Just like us, dogs need to have their teeth brushed regularly. You can use a soft-bristled toothbrush and dog-friendly toothpaste to remove plaque and tartar buildup from your dog’s teeth. Start by letting your dog smell and taste the toothpaste before introducing the toothbrush. You can use a dog toothbrush or I prefer using a dog finger toothbrush. Gently brush your dog’s teeth in a circular motion, focusing on the gum line. Brush for 30 seconds on each side of the mouth, and reward your dog with praise and treats.
- Dental chews: Dental chews are specially designed to help clean your dog’s teeth while satisfying their chewing needs. Stick with chews are made of natural ingredients and are free from additives and preservatives. Dental chews work by scraping away plaque and tartar from your dog’s teeth as they chew. Dental chews come in various shapes, sizes, and flavors, making them a fun and tasty way to promote dental health. In our house we use the ones by BarkBright which is a monthly subscription, they have a money back guarantee you’ll see a difference in your dogs teeth in 2 months. The BARKbright chews combine toothpaste on a chew, which is another thing I love. The dogs love it and do well on them. Another dental chew option is earth bones dental chews that are all natural.
- Water additives: Water additives are a simple yet effective way to maintain your dog’s dental health. These additives are added to your dog’s drinking water and work by breaking down plaque and tartar buildup. They also freshen your dog’s breath and promote healthy gums. Water additives come in various flavors and are easy to use.
- Dental Wipes: I always have a box of these at home, made with all natural ingredients, giving your dogs teeth and gums a good wipe can help keep their teeth clean and healthy.
- Dental toys: Dental toys are another excellent option for helping keeping your dog’s teeth clean in addition to dental chews, wipes or water additives. These toys are designed to promote chewing, which helps remove plaque and tartar buildup from your dog’s teeth. They also come in different shapes and sizes, such as ropes, rubber toys, balls, and bones, to keep your dog entertained and engaged.
- Professional cleaning: If your dog’s teeth are severely affected by dental issues, professional cleaning may be necessary. A veterinarian can perform a deep cleaning that involves scaling and polishing your dog’s teeth to remove tartar buildup and bacteria. Professional cleaning is typically done under anesthesia and requires a follow-up home care routine to maintain the results.
Dog teeth cleaning products
In conclusion, keeping your dog’s teeth clean is crucial for their overall health and happiness. With the above options, you can promote your dog’s dental health and prevent dental problems. Remember to consult with your veterinarian before starting any dental care routine for your dog.